Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Followup to Yesterday's "AAARGHH"

So, after my raw-throated shriek of frustration at the mainstream media's indifference to this lie, who comes along and saves my sanity--and once again proves my prior argument that the show is increasingly the only place to turn for true reporting? Yes, The Daily Show, where Stewart marvellously ripped Cheney by cutting from the zinger to the CNN footage of Cheney and Edwards sitting next to each other. Thank you, Jon and your wonderful team of writers and co-stars. Thank you, Comedy Central. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That said--

Feeling better about myself and the way of the world, I made the mistake of going to the New York Times online, and read this headline:

Cheney Says Report Finding No Illicit Arms in Iraq Justifies War

Boy did that one cause me to give a pre-morning-coffee double-take. What? What?! OK, I'll spare you the references to Orwell and Lewis Carroll (though I swear a large rabbit with a pocketwatch hopped by me just now), but really, I mean: damn. At some point, you just have to stand back and marvel. At some point, anger and nausea has to be replaced by awe and even a horrified kind of admiration. I mean, consider the headline, "FDR Says That Report Finding Japan's Failure To Attack Pearl Harbor Justifies War." Or "Lincoln Says That Report Finding South's Refusal To Secede Justifies War." I mean--you just--I--it--we--HELP!!!!

The full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Cheney.html?ex=1097208000&en=4aaa4e3b0074933c&ei=5094&partner=homepage

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dryden, you've promised us "sundry" subjects in this blog--three political entries in a row doesn't qualify as "sundry." Please, entertain us with verbose cuts aimed at people who aren't quite such easy targets.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Surely you didn't expect anything other than hypocrisy and outright falsehood in my mission statement? Put it another way--you don't like the product? Getcher own damn blog...

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home