Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sisyphus and Me--Twins Separated at Birth?

I'm getting bad about updates, I know--in my defense, I was handed, on one day (Friday), 22 exams (essay based, and in addition to the 22 I already had) and 44 end-of-term papers to grade. So, you know, that's where I've been. Not having fun or anything.

Fortunately--if such a word can be applied as perversely at this one--my parents have corralled me into house-sitting this weekend, so I've got an empty (minus the dogs) house and total silence (beach house, nothing but waves and gulls--very soothing, except I can't take the time to nap, dammit), and no distractions...God, how I wish I had distractions. See, this was what was good about being married. In precisely this sort of situation, when I need it the most, there'd be someone to walk in the room and say, "I'm bored--can we go out and play?"

To which I wouldn't even take the time to respond--I'd just leap out of the chair and grab the car keys and her wrist, and the eye wouldn't even be able to follow us, we'd be out of the room so fast--one of those movie moments where the next thing you see/hear is the slamming door. And if she were to say, "Can we stay in and play"--well, so much the better! But, no. Alone. With nothing to do but be professionally productive and responsible. Dammit.

OK, back to the grading. This concludes this test of the Possibility of An Actual Life Broadcast System--if this had been an Actual Life, you wouldn't have heard a damn thing. Well, maybe just that slamming door...

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I too am having a profoundly listless Sunday. Better actually start grading soon. Damnit.

1:20 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

It's true, having an actual life does make the tediousness of academic life more bearable. Having looked into my future as a newly minted PhD and possible assistant prof, I am driven to ask, where might one find one of those?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Damn, so _that's_ what I should do when Jason's grading.

7:31 AM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Ah, here's to slamming doors, sometime soon. And... finish the grading already, would ya?

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home