Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Thursday, August 26, 2004

A Random Thought

Still writing on the fly as technology and geography conspire to keep me from putting together a series of coherent thoughts. Also, Depression Is Recurring--which I mention not out of some nauseous (which actually means "nausea-inducing," not--as I myself thought until a few years ago--"suffering from nausea"--that's "nauseated"--has anyone spent so much time on the subject of nausea since Nietzsche?--for those of you who, for whatever odd reason, haven't spent a lot of time reading German philosophy, that was screamingly funny, by the way) plea for sympathy, but just as an explanation for my random--and probably wrong--thought: It strikes me that the only two helpful responses to one's own despair are anger and laughter. Both seem to lift one out of the depths in a way that no other response--especially not reason--can. (And don't hand me that nonsense about exercise--from where I sit, exercise is fueled by anger, usually in the form of self-loathing and/or masochism.) Just, as I say, a random thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home