Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, January 30, 2006

Aaaaaaaagh!!!

I hope that this will be my last blog for awhile that isn't titled by an interjection. It's a cute theme, but I'd like to just get through the bottleneck and then have a nice little lie-down and a cup of tea and a quiet read, if that's all right with the world. Anyway. Bags are not packed, but everything that's going in them is hung in order and ready to go. Shoes need to be shined (with shakey hands, so I can't wear anything I care about.) Lesson plan needs to be finalized--can I argue that a tragic universe is organized by the principles of moira while a comic one is organized by the principles of tyche? I think I can, but must make sure. (You're starting to be glad you won't be at the lecture, aren't you? Don't worry--I'll be cool about my presentation of obscure Greek terms--I tend to use references to The Simpsons and Family Guy to make my points.) I'm remembering to breathe (thanks, ArticulateDad, I had forgotten) and now it's really just a question of getting to the airport ontime and then...then it's in God's hands. Well, and mine. And the students in the class. And the people I'm meeting. And...you know what? I'm f***ed. (Kidding! Kidding! At worst, at worst, I'm "taken out for a nice dinner and subjected to some inappropriately heavy petting on the cabride home.") Will report back when/if I return...

3 Comments:

Blogger phd me said...

I'll make sure to perform the dance of academic success for you before I go to bed tonight. Good luck!

1:45 PM  
Blogger post-doc said...

I'm wishing you safe travels and a brilliant lecture. Can't wait to hear how things went! I'm sure you'll be stunningly fantastic.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

So what happened? J

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home