Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Uuurgh...

Well, the countdown is definitely getting into the interesting numbers. I leave on Tuesday at noon-ish, and to judge by my intinerary, I'll spend the next two days meeting every one at the university up to and including the janitorial staff. Which is good, actually, since the more people one meets, the more sense of a place one gets. I've pulled together something like a lecture--need to flesh it out a bit, but I've got Montaigne and skepticism and the nature of error in a humanistic/comic universe and all kinds of fancy stuff to bring in, so maybe they'll come away thinking of me as something other than a complete f***ing idiot. I have to admit, I really am still a little thrown by the change of topics. I mean, I know the play I've been assigned--I can do it. It's just that my head was so very into the other play that I'm still pulling it into the proper sphere (or out of the improper orifice, if you want to get smutty, and shame on you if you do.) Anyway, I may post over the next couple of panicky days, I may not. Ora pro me...

6 Comments:

Blogger phd me said...

You are not a complete idiot, I assure you. And I am convinced you will wow them with your brilliance.

But the important question, really, is what are you wearing?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Oh, shoot! Clothes! I completely forgot to wear clothes!

But seriously: charcoal coat, navy blue wool slacks, pearl grey shirt with french cuffs and silver cufflinks, gold watch, conservative tie, freshly shined black wingtips. The ensemble just screams "respectable WASP." I was going to include a waistcoat, but that's a little too much "flair," according to my mentors...

11:03 PM  
Blogger La Lecturess said...

O[]rare J. Dryden!

7:02 AM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Hey, you got the audition. You've prepared your butt off. You've done the hard part. Now enjoy the rest. If they like you, you'll know it's you they like.

7:42 AM  
Blogger phd me said...

Can one really have too much flair?

You should indeed look perfectly respectable, therefore clevely disguising your liberal tendencies. I applaud such evasion of the conservative elite. Knock 'em dead!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Everyone needs at least sixteen pieces of flair. Break a leg!

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home