Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Friday, August 27, 2004

Another Random Thought

I've already spent a post on addressing the inadequacy of the word "Depression"--and since it's still a subject that's, ahem, preying on my mind these days--I thought I might offer another thought on the subject. Again, the problem with "Depression" is that it suggests a minor condition. And people tend to misuse the term: "I feel a little depressed today." No, you don't. "Blue," "down," "unhappy," fine. Not "depressed." You wouldn't say, "I feel a little schizophrenic today." When you say "I'm a little depressed," what you're saying is "I'm having a bad day." That is not depression.

Depression is not having a bad day.

Depression is knowing--knowing--that there's no such thing as a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home