Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Damn...

Hate to do this, but let it not be said that I can't give credit where it's due. I have to cop to the fact that I think that Bush is handling the tsunami situation rather well. I especially think that the incentive to have any donations to relief funds for the disaster count towards LAST year's income tax deductions is a startlingly smart move--an genuinely shrewd means of encouraging altruism in those who might otherwise forgo that particular impulse. (Although if it's reflexively beneficial, maybe it doesn't count as altruism.) Regardless, Congress is gonna pass it, and Bush says he'll sign it, and for that I gotta give him whatever the white version of 'props' may be. I also like the appointment of Bush Sr. and Clinton as co-spokesmen for the relief efforts. Although the ads where they appear side by side might just as well have the flashing subtitle: "Admit it--you'd much, MUCH rather that either of us was president, wouldn't you?" Yes. Yes, we would. But for today, at least, I let Bush by with a nod and a smile. Tomorrow, I will resume my contempt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home