Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Saturday, January 07, 2006

I am "It," Apparently

According to abdme (http://probablyedandme.blogspot.com/), I am now tagged with another "meme." Unfortunately, I am hampered in my ability to become un-tagged, inasmuch as I do not know five other bloggers. (Actually, that's not entirely true, since the powers-that-be at the Composition office are demanding that I force my students to create blogs and submit weekly entries, which I think violates the 6th Amendment, but nevermind.) So while I will gladly submit to the onus of being "It" and revealing 5 weird things about myself (might as well just say "5 things about myself"), I think I have to break this cyber-based chain letter. My regrets and apologies.

So:

5 Weird Things About Me:

1. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsession with Musical Theater, yet I am not gay.
2. I have owned a Cuisinart for almost 9 years, and I have never used it once.
3. I'm actually more comfortable wearing a tie than not wearing one. Yes, even in bed.
4. I lapse into cloying baby-talk around all furry pet-like animals. Trust me, if you knew me, you'd find this arrestingly incongruous. (Strangely, I do not lapse into baby-talk around actual babies, to whom I speak as if they're fellow 30-somethings at a cocktail party.)
5. When I lecture, I stare at the floor and, while pacing, place my feet into intricate patterns on the squares of linoleum (or whatever kind of flooring there is--carpet drives me nuts, but even there, I'll find some way to draw protractor-precise geometrical shapes with my feet. How this must look to my students, I've no idea.)

There are, needless to say, far weirder things about myself that I could share, but you don't want me to; believe me, you just don't.

3 Comments:

Blogger phd me said...

Thanks, old sport. I wasn't sure you'd actually do it.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

My pleasure. Only sorry I can't pass on the pleasure to others. "Old sport" I like, though since my birthday is tomorrow, it also has a sinister quality...

12:18 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

I've been tearing through Martha Grimes' novels lately. Good for some distance from the diss, you know. Hmmm, perhaps I've subconsciously linked you to Melrose Plant...

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home