Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Jesus Is Weeping...

Once again this year, we maintain the fiction that my brother and I are 4 and 12 respectively, and have the obligatory Easter Egg hunt--a very contained scenario, inasmuch as we're essentially confined to the tiny confines of the main room of the second-rate beach house my parents are renting while they add a second story to theirs (yes, they do have money, thanks). And, as we've begun to do in recent years, my brother and I have taken over hiding the eggs, leaving my parents--both in their early-to-mid-60s, mind you--to hunt.

Which wouldn't seem too pathetic, except for my mother. Who treats the hunt--a competition of who finds the most--with a ruthless severity--as if the loser will, in fact, suffer ritual execution (I suppose "scourging and crucifixion" comes to mind)--and rushes from potential hiding-place to potential hiding-place in frantic excitement, screaming (no, not an expression) with frustration when she and my father happen upon the same egg--"NOOOOOO!!!!"--and by the time we get down to the last few, she's giving him full-blown body checks out of the way, and calling him names that simply don't seem to go with the spirit of the holiday.

Fortunately for us, she won this year. Which means we don't have to hear finds disputed and scores debated for, oh, the next year or so. Happy Easter. Christos aneste--Alithos aneste.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hee hee hee. And I thought my parents were wierd.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't your brother younger?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

He is--order of ages corrected. Thanks for the catch.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But...but...I wasn't doing it to be nice! I just like it when you make mistakes!

You've ruined my fun, Dryden.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, did you know that your dour attorney landlord had fun hunting easter eggs on Easter Sunday? It blows my mind!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home