Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Coffee Shop Is Closed

Until further notice, which might be quite some time, I'm resigning my blogging duties.

It's something I've enjoyed doing, but not so much of late--more of a burden than a pleasure, and in the face of things like Bush's latest, pathetic attempt to distract voters from his horrific performance as president by victimizing gays/lesbians in a way that resembles in a terrifyingly eerie manner the early Nuremberg laws (one of which forbade marriage between Jews and non-Jews--hmm, Jews = Condition of birth, celebration of millenia-old culture, freedom to pursue that birth and that culture; Gays/Lesbians = hmmm...no, the man isn't Hitler, and we're not headed for a Holocaust, so the comparison is, thank God, not entirely apt, but there's enough of a resemblance to the political instinct behind this viciousness--i.e., rouse/distract the populace by isolating/stigmatizing a traditionally despised minority--that appalls me)--in the face of such things, I say, it's become an exercise in cursing the darkness, and I just don't have the energy anymore, which brings me to the last and most important reason: it's interfering with my creative/academic writing. One can only type so many words in a day, and I need to spend my energy on something other than being ephemerally amusing. I appreciate the readership and the friendships I've gained, and I'll continue to lurk and post to other blogs, but for now, Mr. Dryden is leaving town for the season.

Vale. (Had to end on a note of priggish pretentiousness, didn't I?)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"True goodbyes are the ones never said or explained.”

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there you go, Dryden. Take comfort in knowing yours wasn't the most priggish or pretentious final note.

6:53 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Until.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, now, my question is, if we keep posting responses to this, and if they get forwarded to your email by the blogspot gnomes, will we be able to succeed in drawing you into further conversation, in order to prolong the useful life of this blog a bit?

SCG

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what? We're all going to start insulting his manhood to keep him around a little longer?

Actually, that's a brilliant idea.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put the odds that the Coffeehouse reopens sometime this calendar year at 2 to 1. Reopening sometime during the summer when Dryden gets bored of playing X-360 I'd put at 4 to 1.

Farewell then, thou hast been an excellent work diversion.

3:47 PM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

It's been a good cup. Perhaps we'll sip wine when next we meet.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Putman said...

Damnit! Where's my latte?

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home