Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, January 09, 2006

Day of Terror, Day of Doom

No, not really. Just my birthday, with its usual intimations of futility (and mortality, just because I'm a traditionalist.) Suddenly alone again, holidays are going to suck for awhile, though I must acknowledge that the presence of friends (some of whom treated me to a lovely feast last night), fulfilling work (teaching is a tonic to me, can't say why, but I'm not about to argue with it), and family helps a lot. Still, it would be nice to have this be the year in which I get The Job, just so I don't have to be staring at 40 (still a few years off, but still) and contemplating a life in which I have no *place*. But I'm resolved not to be gloomy. No, that's a lie. I'm going to be damned gloomy, and enjoy it. It's my party, and I'll sulk if I want to...

5 Comments:

Blogger Prof. Me said...

J. Dryden has a birthday,
J. Dryden has a birthday!
One year older than he was before.

J. Dryden has a birthday,
J. Dryden has a birthday!
Here's wishing him many more!

(Adapted from the birthday song my aunt has sung to me over the phone every year I've been alive.)

Hope your day is just as enjoyably gloomy as you allow it to be!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Too kind, too kind. And yes, I've gone through the over-30 b-day checklist in the bathroom mirror: Hairline receding on schedule? Check. Scowl lines deepening into permanence? Check. Haggard, haunted look in the eyes? Oh, double check. Tonight, there will be drinking--oh yes, there will be drinking...

1:41 PM  
Blogger Dr. Mon said...

Have a Happy Gloomy Birthday!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Chandra said...

I have been dropping by every now and then and I have been enjoying reading your blog! So I thought I would wish you a very happy birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2:55 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Viva la drinking! Hope you enjoyed yourself in an Eeyore sort of way.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home