Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, January 09, 2006

Day of Terror, Day of Doom

No, not really. Just my birthday, with its usual intimations of futility (and mortality, just because I'm a traditionalist.) Suddenly alone again, holidays are going to suck for awhile, though I must acknowledge that the presence of friends (some of whom treated me to a lovely feast last night), fulfilling work (teaching is a tonic to me, can't say why, but I'm not about to argue with it), and family helps a lot. Still, it would be nice to have this be the year in which I get The Job, just so I don't have to be staring at 40 (still a few years off, but still) and contemplating a life in which I have no *place*. But I'm resolved not to be gloomy. No, that's a lie. I'm going to be damned gloomy, and enjoy it. It's my party, and I'll sulk if I want to...

4 Comments:

Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Too kind, too kind. And yes, I've gone through the over-30 b-day checklist in the bathroom mirror: Hairline receding on schedule? Check. Scowl lines deepening into permanence? Check. Haggard, haunted look in the eyes? Oh, double check. Tonight, there will be drinking--oh yes, there will be drinking...

1:41 PM  
Blogger Mon said...

Have a Happy Gloomy Birthday!!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Magali said...

I have been dropping by every now and then and I have been enjoying reading your blog! So I thought I would wish you a very happy birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2:55 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Viva la drinking! Hope you enjoyed yourself in an Eeyore sort of way.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home