Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Interesting Development

So I've been figuring that since I've gotten two outright "no"s from my MLA interviews (seven of them, if you'll recall) and heard nary a word from any of the others, well past the point at which they said they'd get back to me, that I'd gotten tacit "no"s from the other five. Which meant I was 0 for 7. Which was something I made gallows-humorous jokes about, but don't actually find funny. At all. But then yesterday I got an e-mail from one of said schools, telling me that their committee had fallen a bit behind, that I was still being considered, that they were going to decide on whom to invite for a campus visit ASAP, and was I still interested. Yes, yes I was, I wrote back, doing a little--but only a little--victory dance; this isn't, after all, a campus visit--this is only the possibility of one. Still, beats the proverbial poke in the eye with a sharp stick, no? Fingers are to remain crossed until further notice...

4 Comments:

Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Good luck. Ah... the ups and downs of it all. Got to get excited, but not hold breath.

12:12 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Told you I was good luck.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Mon said...

Fingers crossed here too!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been rejected dozens of times in my job searches and been laid off more than once. I've been strong out for literally months by employers wanting to see if there was anyone better. I know all to well the pain experienced when the job market seems hopeless.

My advice is that you should not be hesitant about selling yourself. Now is not the time to be modest. Also, be confident. Show them why they have no choice but to hire you.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home