Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Nothing New To Report

No word from the hiring (or perhaps "not-hiring") university, which is starting to worry me. I'm finding myself remarkably OK with the idea of not getting the job. It's going to sting, getting that phone-call, but it's going to be bearable in the long run, I think. Sure, I want the job--I want it badly, but, I don't know, I'm getting better about understanding how random and indifferent the job market is, and how taking things personally just misses the true nature of things. Either that, or I'm in the most beautiful state of denial, and why would I want to mess with that? Right?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Keep in mind you may have been the first of three or four candidates spread out over two, maybe three, weeks... Fingers still crossed...

J

4:41 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Absolutely. Why encourage upheaval in your current zen-like state? I'm still holding out for good news. And it appears that people connected to me have amazing success on the job market - found out today a friend was offered a job the day of her interview. So, stick with me, kid.

8:20 PM  
Blogger La Lecturess said...

I feel you, believe me. But it IS random, this fucked up job market, and you can never tell from one year to the next.

(As they say on Wall Street: past performance is no guarantee of future results.)

8:24 PM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Yeah, zen is good... but I learned a while back: holding your breath just makes you turn purple. Keep up the attitude; it does us all good.

And ABDme... over here... hey, over here! Rub some of that luck on me, okay?

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home