Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, February 06, 2006

Very, Very, VERY Tired...

The Santa Anas are blowing, causing fire and soot and sucking the life out of every part of me. Not sleeping well--wake up unable to breathe through my orifice of choice. Plus this type of weather makes the cat cranky--actually, all types of weather make the cat cranky--life makes the cat cranky--and he decides, invariably, to display said crankiness by yelling at me loudly at, oh, say 2:00 a.m. and every half-hour thereafter. At about 3:30, I start to consider seriously taking advantage of the fact that he's a black tabby and using him to perform a satanic ritual to the Dark Master of All Things Sweetly Impure. But no, instead I pet him for five minutes 'til he's asleep, and he stays so, until I roll over, and it begins again...This is like having a baby, only he's never going to grow up and do chores, so what's the point, I ask you?

So, no sleep, and a ton of grading, and more to come--just finishing up on their first papers, and they've got their mid-terms this week, and, just, UUUUUUUURGGGH...

Plus I was supposed to see someone special this weekend and it didn't happen. (Stupid God and His stupid refusal to make everything in my life go exactly as I want. Surely He must realize that I deserve such favoritism.)

So I'm cranky. And tired. And overworked. And lonely. Except for the cat. It's not enough, somehow.

3 Comments:

Blogger post-doc said...

I desperately want to leave some sort of profound statement here. One that leaves you inspired and awed and thinking I'm the one of the coolest people ever. That would reciprocate for the lovely comments you give me, but I don't know enough literary references and somehow physics equations aren't as elegant.

So this is an example of how life isn't fair. You absolutely deserve the favoritism from God, so the sleepless cat, weekend plans, and extra work must be unfortunate oversights.

So. Sorry about that. Hope life improves vastly almost immediately.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the sake of peaceful respiration, you may want to consider taking the ben wa balls OUT at night.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

You know, I knew--I just *knew* that by the use of the word "orifice," I'd be inviting certain persons of, shall we say, less than elevated mind, to offer comments of an undignified and "humorous" nature. I suppose I should be gratified at being proven right. Of course, I always am.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home