Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Yet More Rejection

Got an email yesterday from one college, and a letter was waiting for me at home (after a commute of nearly two hours, thanks to the fact that rain causes Southern California drivers to become incapable of...well, just incapable)--both rejections. Which means, totting things up, that that's five out of the seven schools I interviewed with at the MLA have rejected me. One of the remaining two has made no attempt to contact me, so they're almost certainly getting around to telling me "no", and the final school who had dangled the hope of a campus visit just recently has been silent ever since, despite the fact that they said they hoped to make an offer to someone within the week. It's been a week. They haven't made me an offer. Do the math. Finally, the school I did visit told me that they'd let me know withing two weeks. It's been two weeks. I think we're looking at my being on the losing side of a shut-out. This sucks.

4 Comments:

Blogger La Lecturess said...

I feel you, JD. But don't lose hope just yet in the school you visited--you never know whether they had to reach back into their MLA interviewees to replace a sudden cancellation, or whether they're having funding troubles, or what.

As for me, I've only gotten TWO definite rejections from the six schools I interviewed with; indeed, I haven't heard ANYTHING from three of those four remaining schools, even though I know damn well they're interviewing (since, alas, I have classmates who did get interviews at some of those same schools). Just reject me already!

What a miserable process.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

God-DAMNIT.

LaL. is right--you can't totally rule the campus visit out. The math search I'm participating in is currently leaving some people hanging while we diddle around and try to find money, or wait on other candidates and shit. But you're right--it doesn't sound so good.

12:00 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Yeah, that sucks. I can't offer any words of wisdom or sympathy based on experience, since I'm going through the same thing. It's either rejection letters in the mailbox or silence on the answering machine. Like Lecturess says, just reject me already and let the dream die.

You know I'm really, really sorry. But it's not over until you get a definite answer from the interview school, so try to keep the optimism alive (trust me, I know what I'm asking here). I'm still pulling for all of us stuck in this ridiculous process.

2:13 PM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Not much to add. Just a nod and a hug. Yeah, we're all in this together. And it sucks! BIG TIME!

Just keep plugging away. I find my work is ... well, my work. It helps keep me whole.

And just think, you could be sitting on the other side of the table right now. Now, that would suck!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home