Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, March 06, 2006

Nope, Nope, Nope

Not going to do it. Not going to comment on the Oscars. I mean, really, who gives a s***? Between this and the Winter Olympics, I think we've all been force fed our yearly ration of "S*** You Couldn't Care Less About But Which We're Going To TELL You You Care About Because We Paid For All This Airtime," haven't we? And it's only March! Sigh. OK, I watched a little bit of it. I'm a Jon Stewart fan, so what the hell, I'll stay for the monologue. And I stuck around for Clooney's acceptance speech, where he said "I don't know how you measure art"--and I wanted to leap out of the chair yelling "Yes! Exactly! Precisely! That's why this whole thing is bulls***! Now throw that statuette into the first row and walk off!" But no--I mean, the speech was still cool and all, but...sigh. Then I went back to my grading. Which conceivably sucked even worse than watching the rest of the Oscars. But not much. (I've been using the word "sucked" and variations on it far too often of late. So let me swap in "blew." There, much better.)

5 Comments:

Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Give in to the Oscars... do not resist the pull of pop culture! It's sweet like candy. :)

I dig awards ceremonies. I'm not sure why.

By the way, hi! I've seen you around at ABD me's (phd me's!) place.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Funny, that's exactly when I turned it off.

8:57 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Okay, once again I'm giving you ammunition against me. I love the Oscars! I love movies, in general, so the montages and clips are just heavenly. It's beyond entertaining to see what horrific fashion choices women make with millions of dollars at their disposal. And I'd watch Jon Stewart on the Fishing Channel. Sure, it's self-serving and slightly ridiculous and amazingly boring when they let people talk (must you thank your agent? isn't he just doing his job?) but it's so much fun to guess winners, argue with choices, and make fun of people (what in the hell was Naomi Watts wearing?). Can you ever forgive me?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

No. No, I can't.

10:03 AM  
Blogger phd me said...

sigh And so a beautiful friendship ends...

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home