Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Still No News

Massive stack of grading this weekend--45 versions of the exact same paper, I fear--such is the pitfall of teaching a massive survey course--everyone ends up with the exact same assignment on the exact same passage and drawing the exact same obvious conclusions that they express in the exact same language. Next stop, Groundhog Day's Punxsatawney, where I'll live the same paper over and over and over--only, thank God, in my world, suicide will work the first time. No note will be necessary; I'll just position my corpse so that I'm pointing towards the huge stack of remaining ungraded papers--everyone will understand...

Meantime, no word from anyone. Which means "No" from everyone. When they want you, they tell you. When they don't, they dawdle, because who the hell cares if they piss you off? I say again (and again) (and again): This sucks.

4 Comments:

Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Let it out, brother! Just don't take yourself too seriously. It's a grueling painful path... but there's reward in it somewhere, I'm sure.

How's the novel coming?

11:28 AM  
Blogger phd me said...

Why don't the powers-that-be understand how fabulous you are and just send the contract already? I mean, I'd hire you, if for the daily dose of cynical humor alone.

Don't give up yet, Dryden; we're rooting for you.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yep, that sucks. Why don't they see your wit and aplomb?

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now would I have a blog crush on someone who wasn't going to get hired? I think not. I have very good taste. Ergo, good news must be coming. :)

I know it sucks - hang in there.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home