Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Monday, May 01, 2006

Very Depressing

A few months ago, I finally broke down and bought a cell phone. I wasn't proud of the fact, quite the contrary. I told myself that I was only going to use it for reasonably important communication, and that I was not going to change my life or habits as a result.

Last week, the SIM card, which had always been sketchy, gave up the ghost entirely. Dead. No phone. And in the period between that day and the day this weekend when I got it fixed...I felt...helpless. Untethered. Vulnerable. Whatever would I do without it? How would I keep in touch? That whole resolve about not changing my life or habits? Yeah, not so much, that. Instant addiction--technology makes smack look like decaf. I suck...

3 Comments:

Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Hey, and don't forget the rumors about Johnnie Cochran's brain tumor. Addictions can be deadly.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's completely adorable that you wholeheartedly and unapologetically attach yourself to a child's electronic plaything and have nothing but contempt for a device that actually has some practical use.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I told myself the same thing in December. Ha! Guess what one of my Christmas presents was? And now... I'm completely tethered. I have even boughten ringtones for it. Isn't that funny? Hahaha kill me.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home