Will's Coffee House

John Dryden, Dramatist, Critic, Poet Laureate, and my ancestor, frequented a coffee house called Will's almost daily, where he would hold forth on sundry subjects with great wit and aplomb. Same deal here, only without the wit or aplomb.

Name:
Location: Large Midwestern City, Midwestern State, United States

I am a stranger in a sane land...

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

And Again--

I have nothing to say. I don't know if this is a sign of contentment, or resignation. Perhaps both. Fulmination is usually the result of a lack of either, and an overabundance of caffeine--by the way, am I showing my age when I confess that I have never consumed a Red Bull? I think I am. Too old fashioned not to prefer coffee, I suppose. But I do--I don't like soda, as a general rule, and, well--that's about it, really. Though the last soda I drank regularly was JOLT! (a product of the late '80s' attempt to find a legal substitute for cocaine, which eventually yielded the billions of coffeehouses that popped up in the '90s, JOLT! was cola with "all the sugar and twice the caffeine!" and MAN did it make it easy to finish your assignments on-time, and several pages over the minimum length. I'd just write for hours and hours and hours and hours and come up with something that would make Hunter S. Thompson shake his head and say, "Whoa--ease up on the juice, pal.") But since I'm not hyper-caffeinated, and because Shakespeare went well and all's right with the world, until I have to go upstairs at 2:00 and stare at the blank, resentful faces of my Comp. students, I have nothing to say.

Which strangely enough, feels good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my personal opinion, Red Bull tastes foul.

I should add, however, that my brother once consumed a can of it fairly late at night and then found himself washing a car at 2:30 in the morning because, "[he] really needed something to do."

--Nell

12:25 PM  
Blogger phd me said...

Claim to fame: I drank one of the rather icky tasting Jolt colas in college and promptly fell asleep while working on a paper. Obviously didn't do much for me energy-wise. However! While asleep, I had a exceptionally realistic dream of being late to a meeting, which led me to jump from my bed, land awkwardly on my ankle, and fall to the floor in pain while my roommate fell out of her chair from laughing so hard. I ended up on crutches with a sprained ankle. Try explaining that to a doctor!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home